As a Registered Dietitian and Exercise Physiologist specializing in both sport nutrition and digestive health disorders, I am passionate about helping athletes of all levels reach their greatest potential using diet as one piece of the interdisciplinary puzzle to feel and perform at their best. Many athletes also struggle with digestive health conditions or symptoms that interfere with their performance – this does not have to be the case! One of my favourite areas to support an athlete in is finding solutions to manage gastrointestinal symptoms that may interfere with optimal health and performance. Finally, I have ample experience supporting individuals with digestive health disorders from my own history growing up with IBS, working closely with gastroenterologists, and supporting many clients who suffer from various gastrointestinal health conditions.
Since 2007, I have been working with a full spectrum of athletes ranging from professional athletes such as the Buffalo Sabres (full-time team dietitian), Vancouver Whitecaps FC, NBA and NHL players; national and provincial athletes (Skate Canada, Field Hockey Canada, Triathlon Canada, Canadian National Swim Team, Gymnastics BC, Cycling BC); recreational athletes of all sports; and individuals just beginning to incorporate activity into their schedule. I currently support the Canadian Armed Forces as an applied performance nutrition researcher.
I am comfortable working both individually and as part of an interdisciplinary health or performance team. My extensive experience working as part of interdisciplinary teams allows me to integrate well with medical professionals and other practitioners to support my clients.
Let me take the guesswork out of nutrition for you by translating the complex science in to practical strategies that help you achieve your health and performance goals – whether it is managing your gastrointestinal symptoms or fueling for optimal performance in your sport.
I have experience working with individuals who have various digestive health conditions, including the following:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Crohn’s disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Celiac disease
- Ulcers / ulcer disease
- Other functional gut disorders
On the sports nutrition side, here are some examples of what I can help athletes or anyone active with:
- Optimize training, performance and energy levels
- Increase lean body mass
- Decrease body fat
- Meet hydration needs
- Fuel at appropriate times before, during, and after training & competition
- Education around supplements
- Injury recovery
I also takes pride in helping anyone improve their overall health by using dietary methods to prevent or treat disease. I can help individuals improve cholesterol, achieve a healthy weight, prevent and fight cancer, manage blood sugar levels, improve energy, combat inflammation, pinpoint food sensitivities, and prevent stroke or cardiovascular disease.
I am a Registered Dietitian with the College of Dietitians of British Columbia and an active member of Dietitians of Canada. After completing her B.Sc. in Dietetics at McGill University, I moved to Vancouver and completed an M.Sc. in Experimental Medicine with a focus in Exercise Physiology & Nutrition at the University of British Columbia (UBC). I am also a Certified Exercise Physiologist (CEP) with the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP).
I currently work at Fortius Sport & Health in Burnaby, BC as a Sport Dietitian, and collaborate with gastroenterologists in Vancouver as a dietitian specializing in digestive health conditions.
- Master of Science in Exercise Physiology and Nutrition (University of British Columbia)
- Bachelor of Science in Dietetics and Human Nutrition (McGill University)
- Diploma in Sports Nutrition (International Olympic Committee)
- Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (Commission on Dietetic Registration)
- Body Composition – ISAK Certified Level 1 Anthropometrist (International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry)
- Registered Dietitian (College of Dietitians of Ontario and College of Dietitians of British Columbia)
- Motivational Interviewing for Nutrition Professionals (Molly Kellogg)
“Ashley went out of her way to help me with my stomach problems, and was professional and knowledgeable throughout our correspondence. She has not only helped me figure out what I should be avoiding in my diet, but made me feel very comfortable discussing health issues that are not always easy to talk about. Thanks for your awesome, friendly service Ashley!”
— Allison Whalen, Ottawa
“Ashley helped me understand the relationship between my nutrition and energy level. I am now more productive at the office and throughout the day.”
— Ryan Wilson, Vancouver, BC
- NHL (Buffalo Sabres Team Dietitian, Ottawa Senators Contract Dietitian, and individual players)
- AHL (Rochester Americans, and individual players), OHL (individual players)
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- NBA individual players
- Skate Canada
- Field Hockey Canada
- Triathlon Canada
- Canadian National Swim Team
- Gymnastics BC
- Cycling BC
I am comfortable and experienced doing media appearances for television, radio, and print. I’ve done television interviews with CTV News, CBC News, and Breakfast Television, have been interviewed on radio stations Mountain FM and Vancouver 1040, and have been featured in newspaper articles in the Georgia Straight and the Vancouver Sun.